Frequently Asked Questions

Can you give me advice on what to do?

No, The employees of the Town of Double Oak Municipal Court and Double Oak Police Officers are prohibited from offering or providing you legal advice. You are encouraged to seek the advice of an attorney if you have questions about the law, procedures and your rights under the law.

What are the authorized pleas?

Authorized Pleas are:

  • Not Guilty – When you enter this plea, you are stating to the court that you believe you are innocent of the charge and you wish to have your case placed on the pre-trial docket.
  • Guilty – Entering this plea means that you are admitting to the offense as charged.  You will be required to pay the applicable fine plus all court costs.
  • Nolo Contendre  or No Contest – This plea means that you are not contesting the offense.  You are not admitting that you committed the offense nor are you denying it.  However, you understand that you will still be responsible for paying the applicable fine and costs of the said violation.

What are court costs?

In addition to a fine, state law mandates that the Court assess court costs.  If you are found not guilty, no court costs will be assessed against you. The court costs vary depending on the type of offense. You should check with the Court to find out the amount that will be assessed in your case. If you request a trial and are found guilty, you may also be assessed the costs of overtime for a police officer spent testifying in the trial. If you request a jury trial, an additional $3 jury fee may be assessed and if a warrant was processed and/or served by a peace officer, an additional $50 may also be assessed.

Can I represent myself in the courtroom?

Self-Represented Litigants: The public has access to helpful tools for self representation, as directed under Texas Senate Bill 1911, effective Sept 1, 2017. Visit the Texas Judicial Branch website for additional information: Help for Self-Represented Litigants

The information provided to you is designed as a courtesy to assist you and sets forth general information. It is not meant to replace the advice of an attorney and nothing on this page is intended to be legal advice.

Please Read Important Notices Below

Offense involving violence:

If you are convicted of a misdemeanor offense involving violence where you are or were a spouse, intimate partner, parent, or guardian of the victim or are or were involved in another similar relationship with the victim, it may be unlawful for you to possess or purchase a firearm, including a hand gun or long gun, or ammunition, pursuant to federal law under 18 U.S.C. Section 922(g)(9) or Section 46.04(b). Texas Penal Code. If you have any questions whether these laws make it illegal for you to possess or purchase a firearm, you should consult an attorney.

Notice regarding discovery:

Pursuant to Art. 39.14 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, a Defendant has the right to request and examine documents and evidence to be used against them. Prior to entering your plea, you can submit to the Court a written request for such information. If you choose to make payment via the mail or the Court’s website, you explicitly decline to review such information and request that the Court accept your plea.